MADA Gallery is a contemporary art space located at Monash University in the Faculty of Art Design & Architecture (MADA). Along with examination exhibitions by MADA PhD candidates, MADA Gallery hosts exhibitions by external artists, curators, designers, architects and other creative practitioners.
Applications for the 2019 exhibition program are now open to external applicants. Artists, curators, designers, architects and other creative practitioners with varying degrees of experience and from culturally diverse backgrounds are invited to apply. While MADA’s academic and professional staff, HDR candidates, alumni and artists in residence are welcome to apply, the gallery also encourages applications from other Australian and international practitioners.
As a gallery space located within a tertiary school, MADA Gallery welcomes proposals that are speculative, propositional, and experimental in nature. We are especially interested in proposals that engage students, connect to the most urgent issues and ideas of our time, or think provocatively and critically about the relationship between exhibition making, teaching and research.
- three external exhibitions per year will be held between examination exhibitions by MADA PhD candidates
- exhibitions will run for approximately one month in April, July, and October to coincide with exhibition openings at MUMA (Monash University Museum of Art), located on the same campus
- each exhibition is provided a budget of $6,000; if additional funding is required, exhibiting artists, curators etc will need to source this independently through grant applications or other fundraising
- each exhibition will be supported by a Gallery Assistant who will assist with administration, planning, and invigilation during opening hours
MADA Gallery facilities
- dimensions are 9 x 14 m (download a copy of the plans, DWG format)
- track and Fluru lighting available
- AV equipment is available including TVs, projectors, media players, sound systems
- invigilation is provided on Saturdays by the Gallery Assistant and by student volunteers during the week
- technicians will assist with installation and deinstallation
- opening event as well as e-invitations, media release, gallery listings and social media posts will be provided
How to submit a proposal
- 1 x A4 page with:
- a detailed description of your proposed exhibition, including rationale
- a list of artists or practitioners and proposed work to be included
- notes on how works will be installed and displayed
- an explanation of how the exhibition engages MADA audiences and relates to a tertiary education context, including any proposed public programs
- which exhibition slots you prefer (April, July, or October)
- 2 to 5 captioned images or similar (300dpi) relevant to the exhibition
- a budget listing income and expenditure and any additional funding you might bring to the project
- a brief CV (half page per person max) of the person/s applying
Please collate all of the above into a single PDF document and submit to MADA.Gallery@monash.edu
Proposals are due by 5pm 30 July 2018. Applicants will be notified of the decision in August 2018.
We thank you for your applications.