2018 Artist in Residence Program
Applications for the 2018 Artist in Residence Program are now open. Applications close on Friday 17 November 2017.
The Australian Tapestry Workshop enjoys an international reputation as a leader in contemporary tapestry. It is the only workshop of its kind in Australia and one of only a handful in the world for the production of hand-woven tapestries.
Collaboration is central to the idea of creating great tapestry art, and over the years the Australian Tapestry Workshop has worked with many leading Australian and international artists.
Now in its 7th year as a key program in the ATW calendar, the Artist in Residence program invites artists to immerse themselves in the unique studio environment of the ATW.
- Artists can attend for minimum of 2 to a maximum of 8 weeks, full or part-time, from January – December 2018.
- Artists working in any medium - not just the visual arts or textile based practice - and at any stage of their career can undertake a residency at the Australian Tapestry Workshop.
- Artists will be given a working space at the ATW, reasonable use of ATW yarn & equipment and will be paid to deliver a public talk at the ATW.
- Artists will have a chance to exhibit at ATW the following year as part of the annual AIR exhibition.
- Interstate and international artists are welcome to apply, however ATW cannot offer accommodation or financial support for successful applicants.
- The number of artists selected is usually 8 - 10, depending on the quality of applications.
We suggest writing your application in a word document then pasting it in the online application form when you are ready to submit.
You are required to submit:
- Contact information
- Preferred residency timeframe and duration
- Brief statement about your practice (max 200 words)
- Brief statement on why you want to do a residency at ATW (max 300 words
- Brief description of what you propose to do during the residency (max 300 words)
- 1 page CV
- Up to 5 support images – these can be indicative of previous work, exhibitions, or proposed work for the residency
Applications will close on Friday 17 November 2017 at 5pm. All successful applicants will be notified by Monday 18 December 2017. If you have any questions please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
*Conditions of Artist in Residence Program:
Please note that we are not able to offer comprehensive training in tapestry weaving as part of the residency. If artists are only interested in learning tapestry we suggest they enrol in one of our classes. The ATW cannot offer accommodation or financial support, however artists can use our yarn and equipment within reason. The ATW is accessible Monday to Friday 9 am – 5pm. Artists are advised read the ‘About Us’ section on the ATW website before writing their application.