Calling Out for Expressions of Interest for the City of Joondalup Artist in Residence Program, 2018-19.
The City of Joondalup is a local government organization in Western Australia, committed to investing in art and culture, and providing access to world-class cultural and artistic events and facilities to the community. This Residency aims to celebrate and interpret the iconic people and places of the City through the eyes of a visiting visual artist.
Engagement with the local community and research will form one part of this short-stay residency, and a second part will be in the commissioning of a unique, original artwork that is reflective of the time spent here during the Residency, and completed up to one year after the artist has departed. This will allow the artist to develop the work over time at home, and reflect upon the research that was undertaken during the Residency.
The budget is devised to provide a short-term stay in Joondalup of approximately 6 to 8 weeks, and can also support a small exhibition or series of events and appearances if required. The Commission that follows the Residency aims to capture the research and discoveries made by the artist for acquisition into the City’s Art Collection.
Interested artists should respond to one or more of the following activities for the Residency
- Be a guest judge in the annual acquisitive Community Invitation Art Award
- Respond to local themes
- Hold a solo exhibition at a local art gallery
- Interact with local history, the natural world, people or places, or the built environment
- Conduct a series of artist talks, workshops or panel discussions
- Teach or share your skills to the artistic community here, or
- Propose another idea that relates to your practice
What we will provide:
- The cost of travel expenses to Perth
- A stipend to cover living expenses
- Accommodation in central Joondalup
- A studio to work in, by prior arrangement
- A gallery to exhibit in, by prior arrangement
- Access to local knowledge and liaison with special interest groups, and
- Access to libraries, museums, archives,and other special interest resources
Benefits and attractions
Joondalup is a short 20 minute train journey to the capital city of Perth. There are ample networking opportunities within the wider arts community, world class biodiversity and unique flora and fauna, beautiful beaches, cafes, and lifestyle.
Expressions of Interest are being sought from 31 April to 31 May 2017. From these a small selection of artists will be shortlisted and given the opportunity to submit a proposal that addresses the Selection Criteria outlined above. Proposals will be considered by selection panel and artists notified in July 2017.
Expressions of Interest due: 31 May 2017
Short listing artists finalized: 30 June 2017
Proposals due: 31 July 2017
Artist notified: 30 September 2017
Residency carried out: Approximately six weeks between June 2018 and June 2019
Commission: The artwork can be submitted up to one year after the Residency has ended
Residency: $15,000 AUD. Covers travel, accommodation and stipend.
Commission: $15,000 AUD. Covers materials, artist fees and freight.
How to respond
Please send your Expression of Interest before 5pm AWST (Australian Western Standard Time), 31 May 2017.
Your EOI should contain:
- A digital portfolio showing a selection of up to 20 images or your work
- A brief statement that outlines your interest in the residency
- Your CV, and
- A brief bio and artist statement
Send your enquiry or your Expression of Interest to
Gemma Ben-Ary, Curator
City of Joondalup
Tel: (08) 9400 4951