The City of Sydney is inviting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and designers to submit a proposal to design an original visual artwork. The artwork is planned to acknowledge Gadigal Country and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and cultures in Sydney.
The design will be used on street banners, NAIDOC Week promotional material and documents such as our Reconciliation Action Plan.
The design will:
- Recognise the traditional custodians of the place we now call Sydney
- Highlight the unique identity and story of Sydney
- Incorporate the Sydney Aboriginal language as featured on our park signs – bujari gamarruwa which means good day
- Boost awareness around the rich cultural history of Sydney and lay the groundwork for a future that embraces all Australians and promotes mutual respect and shared responsibility for our land
- Inspire a sense of pride and connection to place
- Position Sydney as a place to practise and share culture and values.