past, present and the unexpected - new public art commissioning opportunity
Council is seeking to enhance and activate the upper section of Bulcock Street with contemporary public artworks that reflect the streets history and Caloundra's heritage while resonating with the community's sense of place. The work should aim to attract people to Bulcock Street, providing a source of interest and intrigue where people may stop, engage and linger.
A few key elements to consider:
The artworks should provide a sense of place which strongly reflects Caloundra and its community. The Artwork Brief themes and influences include:
- Caloundra's history as a seaside holiday destination, early settlement and community
- Bulcock Street, the characters and local stories behind the place (heritage information and oral history records are available from council including the Caloundra Heritage Walk and Sunshine Coast Heritage Library) and
- Future/imagined Caloundra - the streetscape works create an opportunity to reflect and establish an aspirational story for the future.
For more information about the larger streetscape project, refer to Bulcock Beach Streetscape Project.
- Submissions responding to the brief are due by 5 pm Monday 20 November 2017
- Selected shortlisted artists will be notified by 5 pm Monday 4 December 2017
- Presentation of selected concept designs in the week of 22-26 January 2018
- Commissioning and construction dates are to be confirmed
Commission budget $150,000 +GST
The full project details are outlined in the Artist Brief. The two supporting landscape design and construction documents provide a context for the location and larger streetscape infrastructure where the work will be located.
Artists must request the Artist Brief and supporting documents before responding to the call for submission. Please email email@example.com for all documentation required or for further information.