The City of Canada Bay is committed to providing high quality streetscapes that support and enhance our village centres.
As part of this commitment we are seeking to appoint an artist/graphic designer to work with Council and business owners to create a visual design for a streetscape in Concord West. The community love this area but the retail streetscape has been described as “drab and uninviting”.
This is a fantastic opportunity to put your distinctive style to work reconnecting the past with the current, creating separate yet integrated elements in the streetscape and with the business owners. Your work will draw on 1920s imagery and reference the hidden gem of the Yarralla Estate.
This project is part of ‘Refresh Concord West’; revitalising and stimulating the retail and streetscape area of Concord Road, Concord West. The area falls within the Yaralla Estate Conservation Area.
Currently business owners are being given the opportunity to improve the façade of their business by upgrading their awnings, painting the building façade and/or putting in new lighting. As a tandem project you will have the opportunity to revision their windows and look at art/design applications on streetscape elements such as bins, seats and signage.
Please review the Concord Road Artist Brief for more details, timelines and expectations.
The artist/designer will be selected on the following criteria:
- Integrity and creativity of proposal
- High quality
- Experience and expertise in this type of project including liaison with stakeholders
- Feasibility of proposal
- Environmental considerations.
The artist will then be engaged.
Expression of Interest Submissions
Interested artists are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) with a maximum of 10 images. Your submission should provide the following:
- Images of previous public art & relevant projects completed
- Current curriculum vitae
- Written or visual description of proposed approach to this public artwork (maximum 250 words). Visual articulation would be preferred.
Please provide your quote for this work to include:
a) artist fee
b) site visits as needed
c) design submission with provision of PDF for Council records
d) provision of sized designs print-ready for at least 6 elements
e) artist statement for signage and marketing material.
a) concept plan which can be presented to business and property owners
b) final design
c) provision of sized designs print-ready for at least 6 elements
d) details on suggested materials for installation
Council requires the project artist to:
- Manage and deliver the project within the agreed production schedule
- Work in accordance with best practice community cultural development principles and practices in the consultation, research, creative development and design.
- Underpin all aspects of the project with key directions found in the following City of Canada Bay‘s strategic documents which can be accessed from Council's website at www.canadabay.nsw.gov.au; City of Canada Bay Public Art Plan; FuturesPlan20.
- Deliver the project in accordance with an agreed set of project delivery milestones.
Enquiries and due date:
Expression of Interest submissions are to be received at Council by Friday 2 February at 10.00am.
All submissions and enquiries should be directed to: Tara Wilkinson, Place Management Coordinator on 9911 6524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note Tara is unavailable from Thursday 18 January until 5 February for any queries.
If you are unable to reach Tara Wilkinson you can contact Stephanie Kelly, Manager Place Management on 9911 6521.