The City of Canada Bay is working in partnership with Sydney Water to commission a public artwork to be installed on a water kiosk in Allison Park, near Blackwall Point Road, Chiswick.
To install a lively and attractive public artwork on the Sydney Water kiosk in Allison Park (adjacent to Blackwall Point Road) which is complementary to the park surrounds.
This artwork should have an element of fun as it is located in a park with a multi-play playground targeted at younger kids up to 12 years of age.
The artist is encouraged to explore the theme of nature, waterways and a place of enjoyment and relaxation. Chiswick is a peninsula bounded by the Parramatta River. For many the beauty of the waterway is a primary connection to environment, an intervention of the natural world in an increasingly urbanised suburb. The foreshore is a natural focus for walking, cycling, family outings and community events.
However, if the theme of transformation from industrial to residential appeals images of an earlier Chiswick can be obtained from Council’s archives.
Chiswick is a waterside inner west suburb of Sydney. Once a thriving industrial hub with industries including Lysaght Bros and the Box Factory it is now a desirable residential community. 70% of the dwellings in Chiswick are units. There are nearly 2,500 residents in Chiswick. Increasing population size has led to increased diversity of peoples with English as a second language for 35% of the population.
The residents of Chiswick love the beautiful parks and waterway surrounding the peninsula. The words they use to describe why they like Chiswick so much include “quiet, peaceful, beautiful, well maintained parks, water, close to the city”.
The budget for this project is $3,000 which includes any fabrication and installation.
The artist will be selected on the following criteria:
- Integrity and creativity of proposal
- High quality
- Experience and expertise in this type of public art project
- Feasibility of proposal.
Council requires the project artist to:
- Manage and deliver the project within the agreed production schedule
- Underpin all aspects of the project with key directions found in the following City of Canada Bay‘s strategic documents which can be accessed from Council's website at www.canadabay.nsw.gov.au Our Chiswick Place Plan 2014-2019; Cultural Plan 2008-13; Public Art Strategy 2008-13; FuturesPlan20.
- Deliver the project in accordance with an agreed set of project delivery milestones.
- Hold a public liability insurance policy with a minimum $20,000,000.
Expression of Interest Submissions
Interested artists are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). Your submission should provide the following:
- Images of previous public art & relevant projects completed (maximum 10 images)
- Current curriculum vitae
- Written description of proposed approach to this public (maximum 250 words) or sketch/design
- Project budget
Draft production/project delivery schedule:
It is expected that the artwork will be in place by Mid-October 2017.
Expression of Interest submissions are to be received at Council by 5pm on Friday 18 August 2017.
It is advisable to read the full Artist Brief available on the City of Canada Bay website.
All submissions should be directed to:
Tara Wilkinson: Place Management Coordinator
If you have any queries about the project please call Tara on 9911 6524. If Tara is unavailable please call Stephanie Kelly, Manager of Place Management on 9911 6521.