The City of Ballarat is seeking responses from interested artists in a project to create a public artwork honouring the humanitarian work of Major George Devine Treloar. In the 1920s Treloar was engaged in the resettlement of Greek refugees from Asia Minor leading a significant humanitarian effort and making an important contribution to the lives of people in the Greek community of Australia and abroad.
The artist fee for design and production of the artwork will be $140,000.
The artwork will be installed in the Sturt Street Garden precinct in Ballarat, Victoria.
The selected work will be of a figurative style complementing other artworks and memorials in the Sturt Street Gardens precinct. Project partners for the commission include Merimna Pontion Kyrion of Oceania, the Central Pontian Association of Melbourne and Victoria “Pontiaki Estia” and the City of Ballarat. Recommendations of artists and artworks will be undertaken by an independent advisory committee including members of the Greek community.
Submission date and requirements Interested artist(s) should respond by any of the methods outlined below by 12 noon, 20 June 2018
• The full name and contact details of all artists proposing to be involved in the project
• A one page description of your artistic practice or art experience
• An artist CV detailing relevant exhibitions and commissions
• Up to 8 images or video of previous work in sculpture or public art Tenders must be lodged:-
• Electronically via www.tenderlink.com/ballarat/
• OR deposited in the Tender Box which is located in the ‘Customer Service’ area Phoenix Building, Armstrong Street South, Ballarat
• OR posted to ‘Tender Box’, PO Box 655, Ballarat Victoria 3353 to enable the submission to be deposited in the Tender Box by the time and date specified.
Tenders must be enclosed in a plain sealed envelope (exclusive of any company logo or similar identification) which is clearly marked "EOI – 2017/18-256E" Tenders forwarded by facsimile or ordinary email will not be considered.