AFTRS-Australian Film Television and Radio School
About the Course
Discover and develop your voice as a cinematic storyteller and deepen your professional knowledge, skills and practices in screen directing.
This course will enhance your creative and technical skills in a practice-based learning environment. You will gain insight into three key facets of directing - storytelling structures, cinematic principles and performance. And you will explore how these are used to engage audiences effectively.
In a series of workshops, you will:
- develop fluency in constructing a complex and layered story
- investigate mise-en-scène and genre conventions
- interrogate the dimensions of cinematic storytelling
- evaluate conceptual approaches to script analysis and a range of directing techniques with actors in rehearsal and on set
- acquire leadership, communication and collaborative skills relevant to the role of a director
- initiate, plan and pre-visualise a short dramatic project that demonstrates conceptual exploration of visual and symbolic language.
Your work will culminate in the synthesis of these elements in your development of a short screen project.
Attendance Pattern: Tuesday and Thursday evenings, plus 12 Saturdays on campus
Applications Close: Monday 16 October 2017