Art Est. Art School and Gallery
About the Course
This class is for students with some prior experience who wish to develop their oil painting skills and learn about classical oil painting techniques. Students will gain a thorough understanding of the materials and techniques available to them and improve their understanding of oil painting. Over the term students learn traditional ‘classical’ methods and approaches to painting including:
- different ways canvases and boards have been prepared through history (and their modern equivalents)
- approaches used by master painters to build coloured ground layers and underpaintings
- more advanced colour theory
- about light and shadow and ways master painters achieved dramatic light
- advanced approaches to composition
- a variety of methods for applying paint including underpainting, glazing and scumbling and more
Students will work on paintings over several weeks, developing them to fully resolved images. The course covers a range of genres including still life, interior, figure painting and portraiture.
Art Est. Art School and Gallery is a dynamic creative hub for the visual arts in Sydney’s inner west. Located in a spacious, light-filled warehouse in inner west Leichhardt an artistic heart of Sydney, Art Est. is an inspiring art space with four dedicated teaching studios, artists studios and an art gallery.