The program provides opportunities for artists to learn from each other and to articulate and share their practice to the wider arts community.
ArtPlay Signal invites artists to submit an expression of interest to facilitate new artist learning experiences.
We welcome ideas from artists of all disciplines that involve a collaborative exchange of ideas so that you and the participants will all learn something new. Your workshop must include the hands-on involvement of participating artists. Children, young people and families can also be involved, to trial new ideas developed as part of the Learning Lab experience.
ArtPlay Signal will document the session with photos, videos and writing which will be used to create a resource that will be made available to participants and to the wider public through the ArtPlay Signal web page.
Who can apply?
The program is open to emerging, mid-career and established artists who create art with children, families and young people.
Artist Learning Lab experiences:
- should be 4 or 8 hours in duration (half or whole day)
- should involve at least 25 participating artists,
- should be accessible to participants working in multiple artforms,
- can, if involving children, include up to 30 children with accompanying families,
- feature environmentally sustainable practices,
- can take place in either one or a combination of the ArtPlay or Signal spaces (see below), and
- must be able to be included in ArtPlay Signal’s Artist Learning program between July 2019 and May 2020. If children and families are involved, the sessions will be programmed on a weekend or during the school holidays.
- One facilitating artist: $1,000 full day; $500 half day
- Two facilitating artists: $1,750 full day; $875 half day
- Materials / production costs: up to $500.
Your proposal will be assessed on the following criteria:
- actively engages artists from multiple art disciplines as co-learners
- shares your practice in a new way
and / or :
- investigates a new idea about working with children, families and young people in the arts. For tips from children and young people about how to create art with them, see the ArtPlay Signal artist guides.
To submit your proposal
Please fill in the EOI form below. If you are successful, the ArtPlay SIGNAL team will partner with you to realise your artist learning experience.
You may submit an Artist Learning Lab EOI at any time. Submissions will be assessed quarterly.
- Submit by 30 August 2019 for 6 September 2019 assessment.
- Submit by 29 November 2019 for 6 December 2019 assessment.
- Submit by 28 February 2020 for 6 March 2020 assessment.