Would you like to get your art onto the street on a traffic signal box? It’s fun, challenging, rewarding and an exciting way to grow your arts practice. Would you like to make a creative contribution to your neighbourhood?
Urban Smart Projects provide city authorities with a low cost, high-return model for engaging local creativity, delivering public artworks on street cabinets. Art brings streets to life while combatting graffiti and reducing costs. We’ve supported locals to paint a huge 3,006 street cabinets in different cities. Click here to view.
Signal Box 2020, an initiative of Glen Eira City Council managed by Urban Smart Projects, will provide 20 opportunities for local artists. Artists who live work or study in the Glen Eira City Council area are invited to apply.
What is a traffic signal box or street cabinet? A traffic signal box or a TSB is a metal cabinet located wherever there is a traffic light. Cabinets in Glen Eira City are owned and operated by VicRoads or Glen Eira City Council. Cabinets usually have four sides that can be painted with an artwork and measure 1.4 metres high, 0.8 metres wide and 0.42 metres deep.
To participate in Signal Box 2020 click here to download the Expression of Interest. It’s the first item listed on our news page. Read the EOI and contact us if you have any questions. In the meantime here are some dot points:
- Artists under eighteen years old are encouraged to apply. Professional art mentoring is being offered to assist youth artists implement approved designs.
- Artists will be paid a fee of $400 (ex GST) for each painted cabinet, payable on completion of all participation steps and on submission of a tax invoice.
- Participants must live, work or study within the City of Glen Eira (except Glen Eira City Council employees). To view a Council area map click here.
- Artists are invited to submit designs for a specific site. Sites are listed in the EOI. You can submit one design or multiple designs. Each design needs to be site specific. Designs will be selected for their vibrancy, community appeal and connection to the location. Full colour designs for each visible side of the box need to be submitted using the template in the EOI.
- Designs will be assessed by Glen Eira City Council, VicRoads and Urban Smart Projects. One artwork will be selected for each location. Successful artists will be required to sign an Artist Agreement with Urban Smart Projects. Selected designs are to be painted by the artist onto the traffic signal box. Artists must comply with safety instructions and will be provided with Public Liability Insurance. Artists will be supplied with quality paint and safety equipment. Paint must be brushed on and not sprayed on. No spray paints are permitted within this project.
- Design proposals (PDF files) must be emailed on or before 5:00pm 01 November 2019 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time).
If you’d like more information contact Urban Smart Projects:
Ph: 1300 872 022