Nillumbik Shire Council presents the Nillumbik Prize for Contemporary Art, a biennial acquisitive art prize open to emerging and established artists working in any medium across Australia. Presented in association with Montsalvat.
Entries are assessed by the Nillumbik Prize Assessment Panel. Award recipients are announced during a finalist exhibition at Montsalvat.
Expression of Interest are now open
Artworks responding to the theme return can take any form, including (but not limited to) sculpture, painting, drawing, printmaking, textiles, photography, installation, sound digital, video, performative.
Three monetary prizes are applicable to the Nillumbik Prize for Contemporary Art, including:
- Open Prize: $20,000 acquisitive
- Local Prize: $10,000 acquisitive
- People’s Choice Award: $500 cash prize sponsored by Montsalvat
All local entries will automatically be considered for the Open category.
Thursday 6 May – Thursday 1 July 2021
Barn Gallery, Montsalvat
7 Hillcrest Avenue, Eltham
- Annika Kristensen - Senior Curator, Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA)
- Georgia Cribb – Director, Bunjil Place Gallery
- Victoria Lynn – Director, Tarrawarra Museum of Art
- Entries open: Friday 18 September 2020
- Entries close: Monday 30 November 2020 at midday
- All finalists notified by: Friday 18 December 2020
- Finalists to deliver works to Montsalvat: Monday 3 May 2021 between 9am and midday
- Exhibition opening and announcement: Thursday 6 May 2021
- People’s Choice Award announced: Thursday 15 July 2021
- Finalist exhibition: Thursday 6 May – Thursday 1 July 2021
- Collection of artwork: Friday 2 July 2021
The Prize is open to any solo artist, duo or collective who are Australian citizens or permanent residents living and working in Australia.
The entrant/s must be over the age of 18 in 2021, and can be at any stage of their professional practice.
All entrants who satisfy the conditions of entry are eligible for the Open Prize. Only entrants who live, work and/or study within the Shire of Nillumbik are eligible for the Local Prize.
Local entrants are required to supply a statement demonstrating their connection to Nillumbik.
Current Council employees and councillors and employees and board members of Montsalvat are ineligible to apply.
Online entry via the Expression of Interest form (below) is available between Friday 18 September 2020 and midday on Monday 30 November 2020 (AEST). No late submissions will be accepted.
For entrants who live, work and/or study outside the Shire of Nillumbik a non-refundable $15 administration fee (including GST) applies for each artwork entered.
For entrants who live, work and/or study within the Shire of Nillumbik a non-refundable $10 administration fee (including GST) applies for each artwork entered.
The entry fee is payable by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) at the online entry portal at the time of entry. Payments will not incur an additional processing fee. Nillumbik Shire Council will not store any payment details, or share your information with a third party. NSC reserves the right to consider (at its sole discretion) any entry, including without limitation a late entry or an entry by an entrant who has failed to comply with any of these conditions.
Nillumbik Shire reserves the right to consider (at it's sole discretion) any entry, including without limitation a late entry or an entrant who has failed to comply with any of these conditions.
For further details on the Nillumbik Prize for Contemporary Art, visit nillumbik.vic.gov.au