Australia Council Ros Bower Award for Community Arts and Cultural Development is named in honour of Ros Bower, a journalist, television producer, community arts pioneer and founding Director of Council’s first Community Arts Board. The Award acknowledges the achievements of an artist or arts worker who has made an outstanding and sustained contribution to community arts and cultural development. The recipient of this award will receive $25,000.
Australia Council Kirk Robson Award for Community Arts and Cultural Development recognises a young artist or arts worker demonstrating outstanding leadership in community arts and cultural development (CACD). The award was established in honour of Kirk Robson who tragically died in a car crash in 2005. Kirk received the Council’s Young and Emerging Artists Initiative and was the Artistic Director of The Torch Project. The recipient of this award will receive $10,000.
About the Awards
The Australia Council Awards acknowledge the contribution that Australian artists have made to the arts and cultural life of the nation.
These prestigious national awards recognise outstanding and sustained contributions by Australian artists in music, literature, community arts and cultural development (CACD), emerging and experimental arts (EEA), visual arts, theatre, and dance. They are awarded by the Board of the Australia Council, informed by key industry advisors.
The Australia Council will announce the Awards to distinguished Australian artists early in 2020.
Past recipients include some of our most eminent artists. The 2019 Australia Council Award recipients are:
- Helen Garner (VIC) – Australia Council Award for Lifetime Achievement in Literature
- David Bridie (VIC) – Australia Council Don Banks Music Award
- Vicki Van Hout (NSW) – Australia Council Award for Dance
- Joyce Hinterding (NSW) – Australia Council Award for Emerging & Experimental Arts
- Susan Norrie (NSW) – Australia Council Award for Visual Arts
- Rachael Maza (VIC) – Australia Council Award for Theatre
- Rhoda Roberts AO (NSW) – Ros Bower Award for CACD
- Fablice Manirakiza (VIC) – Kirk Robson Award for CACD
Awards nomination requirements
- complete the nomination form
- provide a CV for the nominee (max of 2 x A4 pages)
- provide a maximum of two letters of support for the nomination
All nominations must be made by third parties.
Please note that you may nominate more than one artist however each nomination has to be submitted as a new form.
How to submit a nomination
Follow these steps:
Have any support material such as nominee CV (no more than 2 pages), letters of support, nominee details, website URLs, videos, etc ready to enter/upload prior to commencing your nomination.
Click on the ‘Apply' button at the bottom of this page. Nominations must be submitted via the Australia Council’s online system.
Note, submitting a nomination for an Award does not count as an application to the Australia Council Grants Program.
Download the PDF version of these guidelines.
Download the accessible RTF version of these guidelines.
To discuss your nomination, please contact Antony Skinner, Temporary Arts Practice Officer, +61 2 9215 9149, A.Skinner@australiacouncil.gov.au