Success is now determined less by what you say and more by what others shout to the world about you.
Street Art in the context of these Awards is:
- Outdoor visual art that is sanctioned, permanent (except in relation to the Festival and Event category, which can include chalk art and temporary installations), and publicly visible from or in a street, laneway, park or other public or publicly-accessible space.
- This includes wall and utility murals, permanent audio-visual and lighting installations, commissioned graffiti, pavement art, sculpture collections, street installations, monuments and memorials. There’s a catch though - the entry must be an original artwork specifically created for the site where it is located.
- One more thing… the artwork/s could have been created anytime in the past. They can be old, new or anywhere in between. Their age is not important. What's important is how you are using the artwork to attract visitors and bring the community together now.
- This program is not a critque of the artwork. This program is about how you are using the public art you have chosen to display to enhance the visitor appeal of your locality and bolster community pride.
- The program aims to showcase destinations while educating travellers about the magnificent array of outdoor art that can be found in every corner of Australia and draw more attention to the artists and communities that have created them.
What are the Awards in the context of this program?
The Australian Street Art Awards are Tourism Excellence Awards for Public Art. There are 12 categories. A written submission (with images) is required for each entry. Categories are:
Who Should Nominate?
- Local Government Authorities
- Local and regional tourism organisations
- Destination marketing organisations
- Chambers and business organisations
- Community organisations
- Utilities companies
- Joint submissions between one or more of the above and the artist/s are encouraged.
Through 12 categories, the Australian Street Art Awards:
- Expand the appeal of Australian towns, regions and destinations that have invested in publicly-accessible art
- Promote Instgrammable destinations and social media appeal
- Encourage travel beyond the capital cities, especially to winning regional and rural destinations
- Enhance community pride in all nominees
- Increase recognition of, and therefore employment opportunities for, artists.
- Nominations open: Monday 4 March 2019
- Early Bird* nominations close: Friday 28 June 2019 * Save 20% on the full price.
- Full-Priced nominations close: Friday 30 August 2019
- Submissions due: Monday 16 September 2019
- **Three nominations or more save an additional 10% on Early Bird or Full-Priced fees
For criteria, and how to enter see www.streetartawards.com.au. For social media posts see @AustralianStreetArtAwards
The Australian Street Art Awards are hosted and managed by Awards Absolute Ph:1300 88 22 59