West Darling Arts will kickstart 2021 with the program ‘Restart 2021: Outback Residencies’, proudly funded by the NSW Government through Arts Restart. Artists are invited to apply for one of three Residencies in our outback communities of Menindee/Sunset Strip, Wilcannia and White Cliffs in Far West NSW. Residencies in Menindee and Wilcannia are for three weeks of your choice between 18 March and 26 May 2021. The Residency in White Cliffs is for two weeks from 13 to 26 May 2021. Three artists will be awarded $8,000 to support their residency. Accommodation will be provided to the value of $2,000 in BnB style, self-contained accommodation. Funds can be used to research or create new work; the only stipulation is that each artist does at least one community engagement event to benefit the local community. For example, the engagement can be a workshop, exhibition, performance, tour or talk, and will be supported by West Darling Arts staff. Through the Restart 2021: Outback Residencies we hope to begin the process of re-engaging, reconnecting and enlivening our communities following the isolating effects of 2020.
How to Apply
Residencies are open to NSW artists working in any art form, including but not limited to: visual arts and crafts, literature, performance, film and music. Artists are encouraged to discuss their proposals prior to applying.
To apply send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Wednesday March 3, 2021:
1. Artist CV and contact details (1 page)
2. Project Description: tell us your preferred location and what you hope to achieve through the residency / how you will spend your time (max 2 page).
3. Budget: outline all costs including, but not limited to: transport, living costs, materials & equipment, and artist fee within the $8,000 stipend (please note accommodation is supplied).
4. Dates: Residencies in Menindee and Wilcannia will be held over three weeks of your choice between 18 March and 26 May 2021. The Residency in White Cliffs is for two weeks from 13 to 26 May 2021. Projects beyond this timeframe cannot be considered.
5. Proposal for community engagement event: eg. workshop/ exhibition / performance etc. Additional funds may be available to cover expenses.
6. Visual support material (images, video, website) a. Up to 10 images of previous work, including a list of images (titles, materials, dimensions, and relevance to project) b. AV materials should be provided in standard file format (JPG, MP4, etc)
7. PLI Certificate of Currency (PLI can be purchased through Regional Arts NSW or NAVA if required)
8. WWCC: If you intend to work with young people or schools as part of your project, a current NSW Working with Children Check is required Applicants will need to consider how the limitations of distance and accessibility of resources may influence their project, and address this in their application.
Contact For further information or to discuss your application, please contact either: Cathy Farry, Executive Director | email@example.com | 0487 903 507 Jo Crase, Project Officer | firstname.lastname@example.org | 0429 185 108Accommodation
Information about residencies:
1: Menindee • Accommodation: Self-catering holiday shack at Sunset Strip, Menindee Lakes, NSW (20km from Menindee) • Dates: Residency available for three weeks of your choice between 18 March and 26 May 2021 Residency
2: White Cliffs • Accommodation: Fossickers Den Dug-Out, self-catering accommodation • Dates: 13-26 May 2021. Please note that self-catering accommodation is not available in White Cliffs outside of these dates.
3. Wilcannia Accommodation Queen’s Head Gallery and BnB, self-catering accommodation. Includes visiting artist studio, workspace and gallery. • Dates: Residency available for three weeks of your choice between 18 March - 26 May 2021