At the Jewish Museum of Australia, we illuminate Jewish life. At the intersection of art and Jewish culture, our Museum is a place for all people to share in the Australian Jewish experience. Through a vibrant calendar of onsite and online experiences and events, the Jewish Museum is recognised as one of Australia’s leading community museums.
Celebrating global Jewish excellence and everydayness through an Australian prism, we inspire curiosity, conversation and play with engagement and connection at our heart.
Guided by our strong belief in the power of museums to change lives, we create world-class exhibitions and programs that convey the stories of our diverse community and enhance social cohesion.
With the highly successful launch of the Museum’s MIRKA exhibition and the prospect of a major redevelopment on the horizon (as a part of the newly announced Jewish Arts Quarter in Elsternwick), this is an opportune moment to become a part of this dynamic organisation.
We have an exciting opportunity for a new group of energetic Education Guides to join the team and play a key role in inspiring and engaging our school and adult visitors by delivering various school education and life-long learning programs.
* Delivering the nominated Museum school education program to students with the support of other education volunteers and the Museum’s Education team.
* Assisting in the delivery of all of the education programs including sessions connected to our permanent collection and aesthetic education-based workshops connected to our current exhibition MIRKA for student and adult groups.
* Supporting the Museum in ensuring COVID safe measures are in place.
* Being available to speak to students, teachers and adults in the Museum.
* Supporting our team with preparing for the school groups and tidying when they have departed.
* Guiding students through the St Kilda Synagogue.
What the Jewish Museum Can Offer
* A challenging and engaging volunteer role as part of a highly respected Museum education team.
* Professional development sessions in aesthetic education, Jewish literacy, and other topics; regular refresher and networking opportunities to develop your skills and experience.
* An opportunity to develop and challenge oneself and to positively represent Judaism and the Museum’s work.
* Opportunities for social gatherings, the chance to make new friends and be a part of the dynamic Museum team.
* Regular giveaways to ticketed Museum events
* Up to 15% discount on selected merchandise in the Museum shop
* Free access to the MIRKA exhibition when accompanying a paying guest. Guest can access the concession ticket price regardless of eligibility.
* A reference when you have been volunteering with us regularly over a reasonable period of time.
* You’re enthusiastic and friendly with good communication skills.
* You’re curious, keen to find out more, and share this knowledge with our visitors.
* You’re excited about engaging with school visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
* You may be a teacher or in teacher training, or a retired teacher, you may be a business person or trainer, you may have in your past been involved with youth groups and informal education (desired).
* You have an interest in Jewish Culture and History.
* You’re willing to undertake training related to the role.
* You are confident and can speak to small groups.
* You have basic technical proficiencies in using email, google forms and are willing to gain new skills in this area.
Volunteers are a vital part of our Museum and play an important role in enhancing our impact. As a community organisation, we’re committed to providing volunteer opportunities of a high standard.
Ready to take the next step?
If you would like to join our team or have any questions, please get in touch by emailing a copy of your CV or your expression of interest to our Visitor Services & Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
We would love to hear from you.
Potential volunteers will be invited to an interview/recruitment event to discuss the role and ensure it is right for you. This will give you the chance to learn more about the program and meet the staff and volunteers you will be working with.