The new Lyon Housemusem Galleries is looking for volunteers with a strong interest in contemporary art and design.
Who are we?
The Lyon Housemuseum was established by Corbett and Yueji Lyon in Melbourne in 2010. The first of its kind internationally, the Housemuseum uniquely combines residence and private museum into a single, architecturally designed building. In 2010, Larry’s List named the Housemuseum ‘one of the world’s 10 most exciting buildings of private museums.’ Through its innovative juxtaposition of art and living, the Housemuseum challenges conventional ideas of public and private domains and explores new relationships between art and viewer.
The Lyon Housemuseum Galleries is a new public museum to be operated by the Lyon Foundation – a not-for-profit art entity established in 2012. Opened in March 2019, the new Galleries welcomes visitors six days each week throughout the year. The new Galleries provide a series of expansive exhibition spaces to experience and explore inspirational and adventurous contemporary works of art, architecture and design.
About the Role:
Volunteers at Lyon Housemuseum Galleries are to assist in delivering a warm welcome to all visitors, providing guided tours to visitors when requested, facilitating learning activities in the galleries, and helping with gallery operations.
Ideal Candidates will:
- Have a passion for art and design, and a desire to share this passion with our visitors
- Be confident in providing tours to gallery visitors, this includes self-guided learning about the exhibitions and works
- Have clear, friendly, and welcoming communication skills
- Be keen to gain experience working in a contemporary art and design organisation
- Have experience working in public facing roles
- Have a good working knowledge of art and design
- This role requires a commitment of a minimum of one shift per fortnight (either weekdays or weekends). The galleries will be open Tuesday – Sunday between 10am-5pm
- Be available for occasional assistance with evening openings, talks and workshops, usually between 5 pm and 9 pm on weekdays.
- Assist with install/deinstall of exhibitions when required.
- Attend a Team Meeting at the beginning of every new exhibition.
- Be punctual and organised
This is an unpaid volunteer role (days and hours variable)
Shifts are Tuesday – Sunday, between 11-4pm during exhibition periods
Location – Kew, Victoria
Please submit your current CV with a cover letter that answers 'Why do you want to volunteer at the Lyon Housemuseum Galleries' to Gallery Manager Ashlee via email@example.com
Only successful applicants will be contacted regarding their application.