Self-made businessman, John Schaeffer was arguably Australia’s greatest collector of Pre-Raphaelite art, his gifts to our state institutions leaving a legacy for generations.
John Schaeffer’s AO (1941–2020) name has long been synonymous with the art world as perhaps Australia’s greatest collector of Pre-Raphaelite art; his legacy will continue to be appreciated for generations to come.
The Sydney businessman and philanthropist tragically died this week, when he was hit by a Ford Ranger ute in Sydney’s CBD on Monday. He passed on 14 July, aged 79. The driver of the vehicle will appear in court in August.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today