In a world of political polarisation, environmental emergency and inequality, can museums become centres that improve mental health? Tony Butler believes they can.
About ten years ago I spent time on a sabbatical with the New Economics Foundation (NEF), a radical think-tank based in London. Amongst their research into economic and social activity (they’ve pioneered reports in such diverse topics as sustainable fishing, co-production in mental health care, un-cloning market towns, and a four day working week) they produced the Happy Planet Index – measuring the strength of a society not only on economic outputs but also on the quality of environments and human relationships.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today