In 2020, the theme of the AFTM Queensland Outsider Art Awards is "belonging". A simple word for a huge concept - whether it be the need to belong or finally having found a place where they do. This compelling exhibition provides the platform for these artists to bring valuable life experience and showcase what 'belonging' means to them.
AFTM, a creative initiative of Wesley Mission Queensland (WMQ), supports, exhibits and promotes the work of artists living with adversity, mental health issues, physical or intellectual disabilities, or experiencing homelessness and social isolation.
Key dates 2020
Please note these dates are subject to change. Any changes will be updated on our webpage:
- Entries open - Monday 1 June 2020
- Entries close - Friday 31 July 2020
- Preliminary Judging (shortlist artworks from photographs) - Thursday 20 August - Friday 21 August
- Exhibition online - Friday 11 September – Sunday 20 September
- Artist Celebration Day (Albert Street Church) - Saturday 26 September
- Finalists Exhibition at AFTM Gallery - Monday 28 September – Friday 16 October
Entry is open to artists of all ages and disciplines who are achieving creativity despite living with adversity and disadvantage, either from experiences with social isolation, mental health issues, physical or intellectual disabilities, or homelessness. You can read our terms and conditions document here to confirm eligibility requirements.
AFTM is pleased to announce this year’s judges:
- Dr Carol McGregor, artist and Program Leader, Contemporary Australian Indigenous Art at QCA, Griffith University
- John Waldron, arts consultant and Director of Blue Sky View.
Due to COVID-19, we'll be hosting this thought-provoking exhibition online in September 2020. An exhibition for the Finalists will be hosted onsite at AFTM Gallery & Studios from 28 September 2020. All art will also be available for sale online.